Keeping customer information secure is a top priority for us all at DOWNTOWN STATIONERY. We hope that this notice helps you understand how we handle the personal information and credit-related information (“personal information”) about you that we collect and how you can control our disclosure about personal information about you.
DOWNTOWN STATIONERY is subject to the Australian Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). This policy outlines how your personal information and credit related information will be managed when dealing with us, and how we intend to deliver all the rights and protections our customers are entitled to under the Privacy Act.
While the Privacy Act uses a variety of terms to refer to the personal information and credit related information, we refer to such information as ‘personal information’.
- We protect the personal information we collect about you from misuse or loss by maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that meet or exceed applicable law.
- We require third parties that process personal information on our behalf to follow stringent standards of security and confidentiality.
- We train people who work for us how to properly handle personal information and we restrict access to what is necessary for specific job functions.
- We take all reasonable steps to ensure that all unsolicited information is destroyed immediately.
- We allow you the option not to identify yourself when dealing or communicating with us, only where it is practicable.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect and Hold
The nature of the personal information we collect, and where it comes from, will vary but may include:
- identity particulars such; as your name, address, phone number, email, occupation
- your bank account details and credit card information
- information we collect from you for providing our goods and services to you, or when processing an application for your credit account
- email and user ID’s
- records of your communications with us
- information about your transactions with us, such as account balances, payment history and account activity
- information we may receive from credit reporting bodies.
Purpose of Collecting Your Information
We will only collect personal information for the primary purposes of our general business operations. These purposes may include:
- providing you with our goods and services
- assessing and processing an application for commercial credit
- evaluating and monitoring credit worthiness
- processing receipts and payments, and servicing customer’s account(s)
- responding to customers’ inquiries about goods and services, applications and accounts, and communicating with you
- billing purposes
- marketing and promotion (such as providing individuals with information about our products and promotional notices and offers); and
- improving our website.
We will, where practicable, only collect the above information from you, and by lawful and fair means.
Disclosures of Your Information
DOWNTOWN STATIONERY may disclose your personal information:
- for the primary purposes for which it was collected such as those described above i.e. for our business operations, which includes, assessing, processing and monitoring a credit application form application by you for commercial credit
- where you would reasonably expect this
- where you have consented
- for regulatory and compliance purposes
- to the extent that it is required to do so by law, in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, and in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights
- for direct marketing by us but giving you the opportunity to opt out of such direct marketing; DOWNTOWN STATIONERY includes its contact details in any direct marketing to you.
DOWNTOWN STATIONERY will not disclose your personal information to any credit reporting body.
DOWNTOWN STATIONERY does not disclose your personal information for any secondary purposes unless your consent has been given or as required by law.
DOWNTOWN STATIONERY will not sell or license any personal information that we collect from you.
Privacy and Our Website
Each time you visit our web-site at https://www.downtownstationery.com.au our server may collect some anonymous information, known as click-stream data, including the type of browser and system you are using; the address of the site you have come from and move to after your visit; the date and time of your visit; and your server’s IP address. We may collect this information for statistical purposes to find out how the Site is used and navigated, including the number of hits, the frequency and duration of visits, most popular session times. We may use this information to evaluate and improve our web site performance.
A Cookie is a piece of information that our web server may send to your machine when you visit our site. The Cookie is stored on your machine but does not identify you or give us any information about your computer. A Cookie helps us to recognise you when you re-visit our Site and to co-ordinate your access to different pages on the Site. With most Internet Browsers, you can erase Cookies from your computer hard drive, block all Cookies, or receive a warning before a Cookie is stored. (If you want to do this, refer to your Browser instructions or help screen to learn more).
You are entitled under the Privacy Act to access the information our organisation holds about you. We want to make this as simple as possible for you. We will need to validate the identity of anyone making an access request, to ensure that we do not provide your information to anyone who does not have the right to that information. Where a customer establishes that the personal information, we hold on them is not accurate, complete, or up to date we will correct our records as reasonably necessary. Access to information about you is your right under the Privacy Act.
Request for access should be made to:
Downtown Stationery – Support Team
56 Wilmot Street
Burnie, TAS 7320
Cross border disclosure
Any personal information provided to us will not be disclosed to an overseas recipient.
If for any reason disclosure of your personal information to an overseas recipient is required, we will only do so in accordance with requirements under the Privacy Act.
Collecting sensitive information
Complaints and Disputes
If you have reason to believe that any DOWNTOWN STATIONERY department has breached the Privacy Policies outlined in this document, we urge you to raise this with our Support Team. We will investigate all complaints and respond to you within 14 days. If we find a complaint justified, we will promptly resolve it. This is your right under the Privacy Act.